Chicken is a good protein source for your hamster.
The sufficient amount for your hamster is a quarter tablespoon per serving and you can feed chicken to your hamster once or twice per week assuming that it is the only meat protein your pet was fed.
Can Hamsters Eat Chicken? In Moderation!
This chicken should not be salted and it should be either boiled or baked. It should also be unseasoned. Chicken that has been fried or canned or deli-style lunchmeats is not recommended.
Lunch meats in general are also a no-go for your little cute pet, due to the high salt content.
Most hamsters love chicken so it’s great to give it to your hamster right after buying (or adopting) it.
Check: Can Hamster Eat Grapes?
What Others Treats Can I Give My Hamster?
Hamsters thrive on a high variety diet. Fruit and vegetables are with some exceptions a good and healthy choice that adds antioxidants and healthy fats to a diet. In addition, food like meat and cheese can be important protein sources…
… and watching your hamster feast on its treats is sure to give you a warm and even proud feeling!
If you’re ever unsure about feeding your hamster a particular food, just don’t do it. Likewise, if your hamster ate something you’re not sure about, call your vet.
Check: Can Hamster Eat Cabbage?
3-Step System for Testing New Hamster Treats
When I introduce new treats for my Hamster, Mr. Bubbles, there is a 3-step system I use every time to ensure it’s good for his little stomach.
How to Test New Hamster Treats
- Make sure it’s fresh, washed, and doesn’t contain any pesticide (i.e. purchase organic treats)
- Test if your hamster can eat the treat. This is done by giving a little test piece and waiting a couple of days watching for any symptoms
- Introduce the treat into your hamster’s diet at more regular intervals over the coming weeks
CHECK: Can Hamsters Eat Boiled Eggs?
Best Hamster Food
Besides giving your best hamster treats, it is very important to give it the right kind of hamster food.
There is a lot of food out there with one of the following traits:
- Not enough protein in it
- Becomes dusty
- Your hamster simply doesn’t like it and leaves a lot of food
That’s why, we have done the research and recommend the following three products, which are none of the above, and instead are the backbone of a good hamster diet.
Other Feeding Tips For Your Hamster
- Provide fresh water every day. The water bottle should be frequently checked for any dirt or leaks to avoid contamination of the water. It is also good to monitor your hamster’s water intake because a reduction in water intake can mean you need to visit the vet.
- Remove any remnants of feed to avoid rotting- this is especially for fresh fruits, vegetables, and powdered food which tend to grow mold/bacteria.
- Do not overfeed vegetables to avoid diarrhea. Overfeeding on sugary fruits and treats is also discouraged because it tends to cause obesity in your pet.
- When introducing a new kind of feed to your hamster, you should first give a small amount and observe for a week for any negative reaction to the food. If there is no negative reaction, then the feed is safe for consumption for your hamster. A sudden change in the diet of your pet may cause stress.
Now you try it!
You are now well equipped to start feeding all kinds of treats to your hamster.
Can hamsters eat chicken? Have you tried feeding it to your pet? Please share your experience with us below!
Alina Hartley is a small-town girl with a ginormous love of bearded dragons. It all started with Winchester, a baby bearded who was abandoned at the shelter by his former owners because of a birth defect that caused one front leg to be shorter than the other. Alina originally went to the shelter looking for a guinea pig, but one look at Winchester and it was love at first sight. From that day on, Alina has dedicated her life to learning everything she can about bearded dragons. She loves helping new beardie parents start their incredible journey with these magnificent reptiles.
Follow her on:
Read her latest articles HERE
Learn more about her HERE.