Cabbage is a highly recommended treat for hamsters and all hamsters like good quality cabbage.
It does not matter if it is the Winter White, the Campbell’s, the Syrian, the Robo, or the Chinese hamster.
Can Hamsters Eat Cabbage? Sure!
A half to full teaspoon of cabbage every day or two is recommended for your hamster.
Always make sure that your vegetable is safe and clean for your pet by thoroughly washing in clean running water.
What Others Treats Can I Give My Hamster?
Hamsters thrive on a high variety diet. Fruit and vegetables are with some exceptions a good and healthy choice that adds antioxidants and healthy fats to a diet. In addition, food like meat and cheese can be important protein sources…
… and watching your hamster feast on its treats is sure to give you a warm and even proud feeling!
If you’re ever unsure about feeding your hamster a particular food, just don’t do it. Likewise, if your hamster ate something you’re not sure about, call your vet.
Check: Can Hamsters Have Bread?
To answer the most common items given as treats (and some items not to give you hammy) we’ve put together a hamsterific infographic you can get below.
Check: Can Hamsters Have Grapes?
3-Step System for Testing New Hamster Treats
When I introduce new treats for my Hamster, Mr. Bubbles, there is a 3-step system I use every time to ensure it’s good for his little stomach.
How To Test New Hamster Treats
- Make sure its fresh, washed and doesn’t contain any pesticide (i.e. purchase organic treats)
- Test if your hamster can eat the treat. This is done by giving a little test piece and waiting a couple of days watching for any symptoms
- Introduce the treat into your hamster’s diet at more regular intervals over the coming weeks
Check: Can Hamsters Eat Carrots?
Best Hamster Food
Besides giving your hamster treats, it is very important to give it the right kind of hamster food.
There is a lot of food out there with one of the following traits:
- Not enough protein in it
- Becomes dusty
- Your hamster simply don’t like it and leave a lot of food
That’s why, we have done the research and recommend the following three products, which are none of the above, and instead are the backbone of a good hamster diet.
Check: Is Celery Good for Hamsters?
Other Feeding Tips For Your Hamster
- Provide fresh water every day. The water bottle should be frequently checked for any dirt or leaks to avoid contamination of the water. It is also good to monitor your hamster’s water intake because a reduction of water intake can mean you need to visit the vet.
- Remove any remnants of feed to avoid rotting- this is especially for fresh fruits, vegetables, and powdered food which tend to grow mold/bacteria.
- Do not overfeed on vegetables to avoid diarrhea. Overfeeding on sugary fruits and treats is also discouraged because it tends to cause obesity in your pet.
- When introducing a new kind of feed to your hamster, you should first give a small amount and observe for a week for any negative reaction to the food. If there is no negative reaction, then the feed is safe for consumption for your hamster. A sudden change in the diet of your pet may cause stress.
Now you try it!
You are now well equipped to start feeding all kinds of treats to your hamster.
Can hamsters have cabbage? Please share your opinion on this topic below!
Barry Stingmore is a British content writer living in Fuerteventura, Spain. An animal lover at heart, he shares his home with a dog and four rescue cats and has a passion for writing about animals big and small.
Barry loves finding answers to your animal-related questions, the more research involved the better! You can rely on him to find the facts.