We know how hard it is to choose the best food to give your pets. They are basically a part of our family and we just want to provide them with everything they need to have a healthy life.
That’s why we’ve made a review of the best ferret food out there to help you decide which one will be a great source of minerals and nutrients for your pet to eat in their cage. We hope this helps!
Check: Best Hammock for Ferrets
Best Ferret Foods Top Picks at a Glance
If you see the value in these products and choose to purchase via my referral links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Wysong Ferret Epigen 90 Digestive Support
- Premium Ferret Diet
- ZuPreem Premium Ferret Diet
- Marshall Pet Products Select Chicken Formula Premium Ferret Diet
- Sheppard and Greene Adult Ferret Food
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
9 Best Ferret Foods (With Reviews)
This product contains 62% protein which is so much higher than the prescribed amount of at least 34%. The 16% fat, however, is quite low from the recommended amount of 20%.
With that said, you might need to feed your Ferrets supplements to compensate for the lost fat. Also, the 5% fiber is a little higher than the prescribed amount which is below 3%.
It helps to know that the manufacturer, Wysong, has been in the industry for 30 years already which shows that they are knowledgeable about the products that they offer to their customers.
|Has 62% of protein, 16% fat and 5% fiber|
|Contains probiotics, prebiotics, enzymes, phytonutrients, nutraceuticals, natural form antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals|
|High protein content that is recommended for active ferrets||Doesn’t meet the required fat content which is 20%|
|Well-known brand for ferret foods||With a high percentage of fiber at 5%|
- Genetically Appropriate Diet With No Starch Ingredients
- Unprecedented And Unequalled Meat Content, Including Organic. 62% Protein, And 16% Fat, Plus Other Important Nutrients
- Supports Digestive Health And Desirable Stool Consistency. Has The Natural Flavor And Taste That Ferrets Truly Desire
- Contains Probiotics, Prebiotics, Enzymes, Phytonutrients, Nutraceuticals, Natural Form Antioxidants, Vitamins And Minerals
- Wysong Has Been A Leader In Pet Nutrition Since 1979
Check: Best Litter for Ferrets
You can find better quality ferret foods than this one. First, corn is included in the ingredients. As carnivores, Ferrets should not be given foods that contain grain or corn.
Second, it barely meets the required percentage of fat, protein, and fiber in ferret foods. This might be because the meat product in this food is only from “by-products”. In that case, supplements are still needed to compensate for the lacking nutrients.
As a known brand for ferrets, it is quite disappointing that this food doesn’t have unique or better features to offer to ferret owners.
However, the effects of foods on our pets really differ from each other. What works for others might not work for your pet. You may still want to give this to your pet to check if it satisfies their needs.
|Has 38% of protein, 18% of fat and 3,5% of fiber|
|Rich in omega 3 and fatty acids|
|High in protein||Has corn as an ingredient|
- #1 Ferret Diet Sold Worldwide
- Fed And Recommended By The Worlds Largest Ferret Breeder
- Provides Complete Nutrition For All Life Stages
- Rich In Omega 3 And 6 Fatty Acids
This is fairly good food. It meets the recommended amount of protein, fat, and fiber that a Ferret food should have which means that there is no need for more supplements anymore.
Plus, it doesn’t have ingredients that can make your pets sick like corn and other plant-based products.
The price of this food is quite steep. You’d think that you can purchase a better brand already. However, it is still worth a try. After all, the effect of food on ferrets differs depending on a lot of factors.
|Available in 8lbs, 16lbs and 24lbs|
|Protein is 40%, Fat is 20% and Fiber is 3%|
|Balanced nutrition – meets all the required amount of nutrients of a ferret food|
|Made with real chicken and egg protein||Although a good ferret food, price is a little expensive that you can buy a better brand|
|No additional supplements are needed since it meets the required nutritional content|
- MADE WITH REAL CHICKEN AND EGG PROTEIN. Formulated to be your ferret’s primary food.
- UNIQUE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. Ferrets have a unique digestive system that requires the right amount of protein and animal fat to keep up with their active lifestyles.
- EVERYDAY NUTRIENTS. Filled with the important nutrients your ferret needs every day for good health.
- MADE IN THE USA. Great-Tasting, Balanced Nutrition and Highly Digestible.
- Ensure your ferret gets the quality nutrition he/she needs for a long and healthy life.
Check this large ferret litter box!
The nutrients of this food are not that far-off compared to the Marshall Premium diet. It has a higher amount of protein with 38% which is better compared to the Marshall Premium Diet.
This might be because there is more chicken used as an ingredient in this food. However, cornmeal is present which makes it a threat to your pet.
Although better than the Marshall Premium diet, it still lacks the recommended amount of fat which is a very important part of a healthy diet for a ferret.
|36% Protein, 18% Fat, 4% Fiber|
|Made of 75% chicken|
|Enough protein content to give energy to your active ferret||Fat content is lower than recommended of at least 20%|
|Fiber content is higher than recommended of maximum of 3%|
- REAL MEAT FOR REAL CARNIVORES: Great-tasting, balanced nutrition that is highly digestible with 3lbs of fresh chicken used to make this 4lb bag and chicken as the first ingredient!
- VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED: A respected team of veterinarian's, nutritionists, and ferret experts developed Marshall Premium Ferret Diet. Its high protein content and ideal balance of essential amino acids make it the perfect diet. life.
- GENETICALLY APPROPRIATE DIET: 36% crude protein, 18% fat and only 4% of fiber supports digestive health and desirable stool consistency with the natural flavor and taste that event he pickiest ferrets truly desire.
- FEEDING DIRECTIONS: Formulated to be your ferret's primary food, feed free choice and limit the number of other foods and treats to 10% of your ferrets diet. Remove old food and replenish with new food daily. Always provide clean, fresh water.
- INGREDIENTS: Chicken, Chicken by-products (organs only), chicken by-product meal, corn meal, dried beet pulp, brewers dried yeast, choline chloride, DL-methionine, L-lysine, sodium propionate ( a preservative). Ingredients continued in description.
Although it meets all the nutritional requirements a ferret food should have, you should be careful because there are ingredients included that are not good for your pet.
Two of which are the corn gluten meal and ground corn. Corn gluten is usually used to boost protein content but it actually is not useful to your pet.
Plus, it may cause digestive disorders and allergic reactions. Corn on the other side is not healthy for your pet since it is a plant-based ingredient.
|36% Protein. 20% Fat, 3% Fiber|
|Made with real chicken|
|Contains antioxidants and essential nutrients|
|High in fat and protein||Contains corn gluten and ground corn which is both unhelpful and unhealthy for your ferret|
|Meets required amount of protein, fat, and fiber|
- Real Chicken Is The First Ingredient
- Promotes A Healthy Immune System
- Reduces Shedding And Minimizes Hairballs
In the ingredients, you can see that plant-based products have been used like tomato, raspberry, and blueberry.
As carnivores, a plant-based diet cannot be given to ferrets because their bodies cannot absorb proteins that come from it.
Also, there are a lot of reviews that show that this food is the cause of kidney/bladder stones of their ferrets. The history of this food is not very good so you might want to do a lot of research and ask experts first before considering it.
It may meet the required nutrition of a ferret food but it is quite useless since some parts of it may be because of the plant-based ingredients.
So far, it may be better to consider better products like Wysong or Kaytee.
|Available in 4lbs, 8lbs and 12 lbs|
|40% Protein, 20% Fat, 3% Fiber|
|Grain-free for a better digestion||Contains plant-based ingredients|
|High in protein||Has a bad history of causing stones to ferrets|
|Meets required nutritional needs of a ferret|
According to studies, foods containing “pea” pose a great threat to the health of your ferret. Unfortunately, this food has “pea flour” listed as one of the top ingredients.
This high-protein food will give your ferrets the energy they need to stay active and playful. Your pet will also have a nice coating because of its fat content.
However, like what was said earlier, you must think twice about feeding this to your pet since it was made with pea flour. If you can, pick another food to give your pet. We don’t want to risk their health.
Therefore, it is better to purchase another brand of food that is completely safe and will not make a hole in your pocket due to medical expenses in the long run.
|Comes in two flavours: Chicken and Turkey|
|Contains 42% of protein and 20% natural fat|
|Grain and Gluten-free||Contains Pea flour as the top ingredient. Beware because studies show that it may cause stones on your pet|
|Rich in fat for healthy skin and coat|
|Contains real chicken and turkey meat|
- Specifically Formulated To Meet Your Ferret'S Nutritional Needs
- High Protein Food, 42%
- Contains Real Chicken
- Grain And Gluten Free
- Rich In Fat To Support A Healthy Skin And Coat
Kaytee Forti Diet offers a balanced meal for your pet with 35% of protein, 20% fat, and 3% fiber. You’d be happy to know that there are no plant-based products in the ingredients that other pellet foods have.
The fish meal, however, might make your pet’s poop a bit smelly. But that’s nothing if they’re taking in necessary nutrients, right?
As much as we’d like to brush our pet’s teeth to ensure that it is healthy, we simply cannot do that since their mouth is so small. With this food, that wouldn’t be a problem anymore.
The large and crunchy pellet will help in maintaining their dental health at its best.
|35% protein, 20% fat, 3% fiber|
|No plant-based ingredients unlike other pellet foods|
|With omega fatty acids for a nice coat|
|Grain and Gluten-free||Your pet may be picky because of the different sizes, shapes, and colors of the pellets|
|Rich in natural antioxidants for general health and immune support|
|Large, crunchy pieces help in keeping our pets teeth and gums healthy|
- Larger, Crunchy Pieces Supports Dental Health Through Natural Chewing Activity
- Prebiotics And Probiotics To Support Digestive Health
- Specially Formulated For Ferrets
- Easy To Feed
The Wysong Ferret Archetype Raw Ferret Food comes in three formulas – Chicken, Quail, and Rabbit. All of which have high protein and fat content.
Note that this is not the kibble kind of food. It comes in a dry powdery form. You can give it to your ferret that way but the idea is, you mix it with little water and sprinkle it on top of your pet’s kibble.
It was found that the latter is a more effective way of making your pet eat this food. Also, this food is quite steep. Therefore, mixing it with dry food will save you money.
As you can see, they used plant-derived ingredients. When wild ferrets (not domesticated) consume their prey, they also consume the foods that were taken in by their prey, including plants.
Since this is raw food, it is normal that it has a simple plant in it. You should not fret though because the Wysong Ferret Archetype – Raw Ferret Food is 99% meat.
The plant component of this food is only minimal and constitutes just less than a tenth of the percent.
|Available in 3 formulas: Chicken, Quail, and Rabbit|
|Raw diet which reflects the natural carnivorous ferrets are genetically programmed for|
|Non-thermal freeze-dried raw product meaning this product is of high-quality|
|Starch-free||Contains plant-based products but only to a minimal|
|Meets all the required nutritional content of a ferret diet|
|Raw diet – natural diet for ferrets|
|Free of non-nutritional additives|
|Contains prebiotics, probiotics and vitamins, minerals and a range of micronutrients|
- Ferret Archetype, First And Foremost, Is Not Heated Above 118° Fahrenheit – A Wysong True Non-Thermal Freezedried Raw Product!
- Starch Free And Meat-Based, And Thus Does Not Contribute To The Common Carbohydrate Glut Diseases In The Modern Ferret Community
- Contains Meats, Plant Nutrients, Nutraceuticals, Prebiotics, Probiotics, Vitamins, Minerals, And An Array Of Micronutrients. Free Of Non-Nutritional Additives Used By Manufacturers To Create Color, Texture, Stool Consistency, Or Shelf-Life
- Healthy Fats Are Naturally Protected Against Free Radical/Oxidation Degradation. High In Natural Protein And Fat Content. Feed As An Adjunct To Ferret Epigen 90 Digestive Support And Other Healthful Wysong Ferret Foods!
- Wysong Has Been A Leader In Pet Nutrition Since 1979
For you, what is the best ferret food on the above list? Let us know in the comments below!
Alina Hartley is a small-town girl with a ginormous love of bearded dragons. It all started with Winchester, a baby bearded who was abandoned at the shelter by his former owners because of a birth defect that caused one front leg to be shorter than the other. Alina originally went to the shelter looking for a guinea pig, but one look at Winchester and it was love at first sight. From that day on, Alina has dedicated her life to learning everything she can about bearded dragons. She loves helping new beardie parents start their incredible journey with these magnificent reptiles.
Follow her on:
Read her latest articles HERE
Learn more about her HERE.