Most hamsters love grapes, however, it is definitely one of the fruits you should introduce slowly to your hamster’s diet.
The seedless grapes are the best type if you need to feed your hammy as they can choke on the seeds.
As these seeds are too small, they cannot replace a good hamster chew toy.
A quarter teaspoon per serving once or twice a week is sufficient and works great as a treat (although it should be done in moderation).
Watch this video of a hamster enjoying grapes:
What Others Treats Can I Give My Hamster?
Hamsters thrive on a high variety diet. Fruit and vegetables are with some exceptions a good and healthy choice that adds antioxidants and healthy fats to a diet.
… and watching your hamster feast on its treats is sure to give you a warm and even proud feeling!
If you’re ever unsure about feeding your hamster a particular food, just don’t do it. Likewise, if your hamster ate something you’re not sure about, call your vet.
Check: Can Hamster Eat Carrots?
To answer the most common items given as treats (and some items not to give you hammy) we’ve put together a hamsterific infographic you can get below.
Check: Can Hamster Eat Bread?
3-Step System for Testing New Hamster Treats
When I introduce new treats for my Hamster, Mr. Bubbles, there is a 3-step system I use every time to ensure it’s good for his little stomach.
How to Test New Hamster Treats
- Make sure its fresh, washed and doesn’t contain any pesticide (i.e. purchase organic treats)
- Test if your hamster can eat the treat. This is done by giving a little test piece and waiting a couple of days watching for any symptoms
- Introduce the treat into your hamster’s diet at more regular intervals over the coming weeks
Best Hamster Food
Besides giving your hamster treats, it is very important to give it the right kind of hamster food.
There is a lot of food out there with one of the following traits:
- Not enough protein in it
- Becomes dusty
- Your hamster simply don’t like it and leave a lot of food
That’s why, we have done the research and recommend the following three products, which are none of the above, and instead are the backbone of a good hamster diet.
Check: Can Hamsters Eat Cabbage?
Other Feeding Tips For Your Hamster
1. Provide fresh water every day. The water bottle should be frequently checked for any dirt or leaks to avoid contamination of the water. It is also good to monitor your hamster’s water intake because a reduction of water intake can mean you need to visit the vet.
2. Remove any remnants of feed to avoid rotting- this is especially for fresh fruits, vegetables, and powdered food which tend to grow mold/bacteria.
3. Do not overfeed on vegetables to avoid diarrhea. Overfeeding on sugary fruits and treats is also discouraged because it tends to cause obesity in your pet.
4. When introducing a new kind of feed to your hamster, you should first give a small amount and observe for a week for any negative reaction to the food.
If there is no negative reaction, then the feed is safe for consumption for your hamster. A sudden change in the diet of your pet may cause stress.
Now you try it!
You are now well equipped to start feeding all kinds of treats to your hamster.
Jess, Dr. 2020. “How to Feed Grapes to Hamsters.” Vet Explains Pets. December 30, 2020. https://vetexplainspets.com/can-hamsters-eat-grapes/#:~:text=Grape%20Varieties%20Hamsters%20Can%20Eat%3A%201%20Green%20Grapes%3A,grapes%20and%20are%20higher%20in%20sugar%20content.%20.
Can hamsters eat grapes? Have you tried feeding it to your pet? Please share your experience with us below!
Alina Hartley is a small-town girl with a ginormous love of bearded dragons. It all started with Winchester, a baby bearded who was abandoned at the shelter by his former owners because of a birth defect that caused one front leg to be shorter than the other. Alina originally went to the shelter looking for a guinea pig, but one look at Winchester and it was love at first sight. From that day on, Alina has dedicated her life to learning everything she can about bearded dragons. She loves helping new beardie parents start their incredible journey with these magnificent reptiles.
Follow her on:
Read her latest articles HERE
Learn more about her HERE.