Hamsters can eat bread without much complication and hamsters especially love whole grain bread.
The whole grain bread ensures that the pet derives vitamins from the whole grain used in baking.
White bread should be avoided because of the high sugar that it contains which can make the hamster obese and cause tooth decay.
Also, any bread that is salted is deemed unsafe for your hamster.
Bread can be served as a snack or as a treat for your pet. The required amount of bread per pet is only a small piece of bread once per week.
Watch this video of a tamed hamster eating a piece of bread:
What Others Treats Can I Give My Hamster?
Hamsters thrive on a high variety diet. Fruit and vegetables are with some exceptions a good and healthy choice that adds antioxidants and healthy fats to a diet. In addition, food like meat and cheese can be important protein sources…
… and watching your hamster feast on its treats is sure to give you a warm and even proud feeling!
If you’re ever unsure about feeding your hamster a particular food, just don’t do it. Likewise, if your hamster ate something you’re not sure about, call your vet.
READ MORE: Can Hamsters Have Cheese?ADD_THIS_TEXT
3-Step System for Testing New Hamster Treats
When I introduce new treats for my Hamster, Mr. Bubbles, there is a 3-step system I use every time to ensure it’s good for his little stomach.
How to Test New Hamster Treats
- Make sure its fresh, washed and doesn’t contain any pesticide (i.e. purchase organic treats)
- Test if your hamster can eat the treat. This is done by giving a little test piece and waiting a couple of days watching for any symptoms
- Introduce the treat into your hamster’s diet at more regular intervals over the coming weeks
Best Hamster Food
Besides giving your hamster treats, it is very important to give it the right kind of hamster food.
There is a lot of food out there with one of the following traits:
- Not enough protein in it
- Becomes dusty
- Your hamster simply don’t like it and leave a lot of food
That’s why, we have done the research and recommend the following three products, which are none of the above, and instead are the backbone of a good hamster diet.
READ MORE: Can Hamsters Have Carrots?
Other Feeding Tips for Your Hamster
1. Provide fresh water every day. The water bottle should be frequently checked for any dirt or leaks to avoid contamination of the water.
It is also good to monitor your hamster’s water intake because a reduction of water intake can mean you need to visit the vet.
2. Remove any remnants of feed to avoid rotting- this is especially for fresh fruits, vegetables, and powdered food which tend to grow mold/bacteria.
3. Do not overfeed on vegetables to avoid diarrhea. Overfeeding on sugary fruits and treats is also discouraged because it tends to cause obesity in your pet.
4. When introducing a new kind of feed to your hamster, you should first give a small amount and observe for a week for any negative reaction to the food.
If there is no negative reaction, then the feed is safe for consumption for your hamster. A sudden change in the diet of your pet may cause stress.
Now you try it!
You are now well equipped to start feeding all kinds of treats to your hamster.
- “Can I Feed My Hamsters Bread….? – Food & Nutrition.” 2009. Hamster Hideout Forum. August 24, 2009. http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/54180-can-i-feed-my-hamsters-bread/.
- “Hamster Care Sheet & Guide | PetSmart.” 2021. Petsmart.com. 2021. https://www.petsmart.com/learning-center/small-pet-care/hamster-care-guide/A0092.html.
Can hamsters eat bread? Have you tried offering it to your pet? Please share with us below!
Ari is a passionate animal lovers. He loves finding quirky names for his guinea pig and bearded dragon