Blueberries are a nice treat for your hamster!
However, many people are surprised by how few blueberries you can serve them.
The maximum serving of blueberry per pet is just one berry once or twice per week!
Read on to learn why!
Table of Contents
Can Hamsters Eat Blueberries? In Moderation!
It would be wise if you made sure that the fruit is produced organically to avoid any residue pesticides on the blueberry. This will ensure your pet is safe and healthy with minimum visits to the vet on any given day.
Blueberries are a kind of superfruit for your hamster. They contain a lot of fiber, antioxidants as well as vitamins A, B, C, E, and K.
READ MORE: Can Hamsters Eat Strawberries?
Watch this video of a hamster enjoying blueberries:
What Others Treats Can I Give My Hamster?
Hamsters thrive on a high variety diet. Fruit and vegetables are with some exceptions good and healthy choices that add antioxidants and healthy fats to a diet.
… and watching your hamster feast on its treats is sure to give you a warm and even proud feeling!
If you’re ever unsure about feeding your hamster a particular food, just don’t do it. Likewise, if your hamster ate something you’re not sure about, call your vet.
To answer the most common items given as treats (and some items not to give you hammy) we’ve put together a hamsterific infographic you can get below.ADD_THIS_TEXT
READ MORE: Can Hamsters Eat Cherries?
3-Step System for Testing New Hamster Treats
When I introduce new treats for my Hamster, Mr. Bubbles, there is a 3-step system I use every time to ensure it’s good for his little stomach.
How to Test New Hamster Treats
- Make sure its fresh, washed and doesn’t contain any pesticide (i.e. purchase organic treats)
- Test if your hamster can eat the treat. This is done by giving a little test piece and waiting a couple of days watching for any symptoms
- Introduce the treat into your hamster’s diet at more regular intervals over the coming weeks
Best Hamster Food
Besides giving your hamster treats, it is very important to give it the right kind of hamster food.
There is a lot of food out there with one of the following traits:
- Not enough protein in it
- Becomes dusty
- Your hamster simply don’t like it and leave a lot of food
That’s why, we have done the research and recommend the following three products, which are none of the above, and instead are the backbone of a good hamster diet.Table could not be displayed.
Other Feeding Tips for Your Hamster:
1. Provide fresh water every day. The water bottle should be frequently checked for any dirt or leaks to avoid contamination of the water. It is also good to monitor your hamster’s water intake because a reduction of water intake can mean you need to visit the vet.
2. Remove any remnants of feed to avoid rotting- this is especially for fresh fruits, vegetables, and powdered food which tend to grow mold/bacteria.
3. Do not overfeed on vegetables to avoid diarrhea. Overfeeding on sugary fruits and treats is also discouraged because it tends to cause obesity in your pet.
4. When introducing a new kind of feed to your hamster, you should first give a small amount and observe for a week for any negative reaction to the food. If there is no negative reaction, then the feed is safe for consumption for your hamster. A sudden change in the diet of your pet may cause stress.
READ MORE: Can Hamsters Have Bananas?
Now you try it!
You are now well equipped to start feeding all kinds of treats to your hamster.
If you have any questions about any treat we have not covered please leave a comment below – we’ll be around to answer it.
Can hamsters eat blueberries? Have you ever fed it to your hamsters? Please share with us below!
Olfa knows how to get things done and has a keen business sense that others admire. She’s always on the go, coming up with new ideas! Her ability to anticipate the needs of her readers and deliver information that they want is what makes CatVills such a success. She loves cuddling her cat Picaciu. He is her inspiration.
Find her on: LINKEDIN
Read her latest articles HERE
Learn more about her