If you have a bunny around the house, you know just how much joy it can bring you. They are playful creatures who love to hop jump. skitter, skatter, and play.
How can you ensure that they stay as joyful and full of hop as possible? Well, one way is to ensure that they have the right food.
Bunnies need food  to survive (just as we all do), but they also need a special kind of food to bring them all the nutrients they need to stay in peak health.
We love bunnies, so we set out to find the food that will give them the best quality of life.
The best rabbit foods we found are packed with everything your bunny needs to live a long and healthy life. Let’s take a look.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
READ MORE: Can Rabbits Eat Bananas?
Top Rabbit Foods at a Glance
- Small Pet Select 12-Pound Rabbit Food Pellets – Fresh and natural.
- F.M. Brown’s Tropical Carnival, Gourmet Pet Rabbit Food with High-Fiber Timothy and Alfalfa Hay Pellets – High-quality ingredients.
- Oxbow Essentials Adult Rabbit Food – All Natural Adult Rabbit Pellets – A balance of carbohydrates and energy.
- Kaytee Fiesta Rabbit Food, 6.5 lb – Textured for dental health.
- Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Juvenile Rabbit Food 5lb – Supports digestive health.
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
7 Best Rabbit Foods – Buying Guide
This rabbit food is all about freshness. The bags are produced in small batches and hand-poured to ensure quality.
The bags are then delivered online to only 500 customers (and growing).
The focus on staying small and hand-pouring each bag means that they have some of the freshest and highest-quality food out there.
These pellets are high in fiber and taste. They are also low in calcium and calories, the perfect diet for a rabbit.
The ingredients are carefully selected to ensure a balanced diet and freshness. Only the hay from the current crop year is used to ensure that the food is as fresh as possible.
A lot of care has gone into this food, and you can tell that the company cares about pets more than they care about the money they are making.
This small company has only four employees and is not sold in stores. The only place you can get this food is online.
When you do get it, you will see that it is packed with all of the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals your pet needs.
You want the best for your pet, and this could be it.
|Made in small batches for freshness|
|Only available online|
|Made in the USA|
|Uses hay from current crop year|
Benefits & Drawbacks of 1 Small Pet Select 12-Pound Rabbit Food Pellets
|Vitamins and minerals|
|Fresh and natural|
#2 F.M. Brown’s Tropical Carnival, Gourmet Pet Rabbit Food with High-Fiber Timothy and Alfalfa Hay Pellets
This rabbit food is both luxury and gourmet without a luxury price tag. The food does come with everything.
All the good stuff your rabbit needs includes promoting healthy digestion, clean teeth and gums, and a balanced immune system.
There are fiber-rich Timothy and Alfalfa hay pellets mixed with beneficial bacteria to look after the gut of your rabbit. Your rabbit’s digestion will never have been better.
There is also a blend of fruits, veggies, seeds, and grains to bring your rabbit a well-rounded and balanced diet.
The inclusion of nutrient-rich biscuits adds more to your rabbit’s diet  while also offering a little crunch in their meal.
This food is not for every bunny, and you may find that your bunny does not eat the pellets when there is so much other delicious food in the mix, but if they do eat everything, they will be getting all they need to live a long and healthy life.
|30 gourmet ingredients|
|Supports the immune system|
|Promotes healthy teeth|
|Helps with digestion|
Benefits & Drawbacks of 2 F.M. Brown’s Tropical Carnival
|High-quality ingredients||Rabbits can forego the pellets for the included ‘treats for rabbits’|
|Specially designed for rabbits|
|Trusted for 20 years|
- Vitamin-Nutrient-Fortified: Specifically formulated for the daily dietary needs of rabbits
- Support Good Digestion: Omega fatty acids and beneficial bacteria help stimulate good digestion so your pet can get the most out of our nutrient-rich ingredients
- Over 30 Unique Gourmet Ingredients: Hay, fruits, veggies, seeds and more combine to ensure your rabbit receives the complex carbs, vitamins, minerals, and fiber they need
- Immune System Support: Farm fresh veggies contain antioxidants that help maintain a healthy immune system
- ZOO-VITAL Biscuits: Includes our specially formulated biscuits for healthy teeth and gums with nutrients required for the well-being of your rabbit
READ MORE: What Do Rabbits Eat and Drink?
This is a bunny food specially formulated for adult bunnies. It has everything they need to support them and promote their health.
With only pellets included, your bunny is not going to suffer from selective eating.
It can be a problem with some rabbit food that your bunny can be selective in their eating.
With gourmet and luxury food, there are often extra fruits and veggies, which bunnies target first at the expense of the much-needed pellets.
With this bag of food, you only have pellets, so your bunny will not pick and choose what they eat. The pellets have been specially formulated to contain a balanced mix of fiber, protein, fat, carbs, and energy.
Packed with vitamins and minerals, this rabbit food is going to give your rabbit almost everything they need in their lives. Supplement with a little fresh fruit and veg to give your rabbit a healthy diet.
|Packed with essential fiber|
|A balance of carbohydrates and energy|
|Specially designed for adult bunnies|
|Delicious taste (for bunnies)|
|Easy to portion|
Benefits & Drawbacks of Oxbow Essentials Rabbit Food – All Natural Rabbit Pellets
|Pellets only||Will need supplementing with fresh fruit and veg|
|No seeds or fruits|
|No artificial additives|
|Packed with vitamins and minerals|
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS FOR A HEALTHY, ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Made with high fiber Oxbow Timothy Hay to support healthy digestion
- SUPPORTS IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTH: Made with antioxidants & prebiotics to support the immune system health of your adult rabbit
- PERFECT FOR PICKY EATERS: Uniform pellets prevent selective feeding
- FORTIFIED FOOD: Fortified with vitamins and minerals for optimum health
- VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED: Formulated with the guidance of top veterinarians and nutritionists
- FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS: Adult Rabbits (over 1 year) Feed according to weight specifications provided. Feed in addition to unlimited grass hay.
- COMPLEMENT BY ADDING OXBOW GRASS HAY: Offer unlimited amounts of fresh grass hay at all times. Choose from Oxbow’s Western Timothy, Orchard, Oat, Hay Blends, Organic Meadow, or Botanical grass hays to meet your pet's daily fiber needs.
This bunny food will give your bunny everything they need to live a long and lustrous life. With added fruits and veggies, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals, this bag has everything your bunny needs.
The only downside to this bag of rabbit food is that your bunny may suffer from selective eating. With the addition of fruits and veggies, your bunny may target them and forget to eat the essential pellets.
If they eat it all, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
The texture and the shape of the pellets, fruits, and veggies, encourage your rabbit to chew, promoting good dental health.
The included probiotics help to balance the bacteria in your rabbit’s gut and ensure that their digestive system is working as it should.
The variety of ingredients also ensures that your rabbit never becomes bored while getting all they need to function — an excellent rabbit food that will promote health and a great quality of life.
|Textured for dental health|
|Naturally preserved for freshness|
|Great for mental stimulation|
|Shapes and textures keep your rabbit interested|
Benefits & Drawbacks of Kaytee Fiesta Rabbit Food, 6.5 lb
|Assorted shapes and textures||Expensive|
|Packed with fruits and vegetables||Bunnies can suffer selective eating|
|Rich in antioxidants|
- Nutritionally fortified gourmet food
- Kaytee is a Veterinarian Recommended Brand
- Guaranteed fresh
- Provides more fun, variety, and nutrition for your pet
This rabbit food is packed with veggies and fruits. It is so delicious that your rabbit may not know that they are getting regular food and may think you are treating them constantly.
Showing your bunny a little love is never a bad thing.
There are so many natural ingredients in this rabbit food that there are almost too many to list. Know that your rabbit is getting a mix of fruits, veggies, carbs, fibers, and vitamins and minerals.
This food is packed with everything needed for a healthy bunny.
Specially made for adult bunnies, this food is accessible to any bunny breed. If you have multiple bunnies, this will be the only food you need.
Serve it up to them all and watch as they delight in the taste of it.
|For adult bunnies|
|A great source of fiber|
|Suitable for all breeds|
|Includes Timothy hay||All crunches and no pellets|
|No added sugar|
|Includes fruits and veggies|
|Keeps rabbits fit|
- A Nutritionally Balanced, Tasty Mix For Adult Rabbits
- Promotes Natural Foraging
- Best Ever Taste - No Added Sugar
- With Tasty Timothy Hay - A Fabulous Source Of Fiber
- Suitable For All Breeds Including Dwarf Rabbits
Great food for younger bunnies which needs a little supplementing with hay. The ingredients are all-natural, and there is everything that a growing bunny needs to thrive and develop.
You will see your bunny grow physically and mentally when growing up on a diet of this food. Throw in some Timothy hay, and your young rabbit has all the need.
Alfalfa hay is included in these pellets to give your rabbits the protein and fiber they need. The all-natural ingredients also contain a balanced mix of carbohydrates, energy, vitamins, and minerals.
Looking at the ingredients, you may be tempted to try some yourself (we do not recommend eating some, but we cannot stop you from making that choice).
A properly working digestive system is vital for all bunnies, especially for growing ones.
This food does everything to promote a healthy digestive system, ensuring that your bunny grows without any complications — a well-balanced food packed with nutrients, which will maximize the health of your bunny.
|For young bunnies|
|Promotes healthy digestion|
|Balanced for a balanced diet|
Benefits & Drawbacks of Oxbow Essentials Young Rabbit Food – All Natural Rabbit Pellets
|Packed with vitamins and minerals||Needs to be supplemented with hay|
|Lots of fiber||Expensive|
The pellets are nice and small in this food bag, perfect for little mouths.
There may not be a lot of variety, but if your pet likes the taste of it, they will be getting everything that they need to grow up strong and healthy.
The result is a young rabbit food packed with all the probiotics and antioxidants that they need to develop.
Those probiotics and antioxidants help promote a healthy immune system, while the larger and crunchier pieces help your rabbit’s dental health through chewing. An excellent rabbit food that has it all.
|For young rabbits|
|Supports digestive health|
|Great for growing rabbits|
|Fresh and healthy|
|Packed with probiotics and prebiotics||Does not have a lot of variety|
|Natural and fresh|
|150 years of pet food experience|
- Higher protein formula designed for growing and breeding rabbits
- Prebiotics and probiotics to support digestive health
- Naturally preserved for ideal freshness
- Specially formulated for rabbits
- Re-sealable bag ensures freshness of Kaytee Rabbit Diet
- Can rabbits have dragon fruit?
- Can rabbits eat chicken pellets?
- Can rabbits eat cabbage everyday?
- Can baby rabbits eat pineapple?
What do you think about these rabbit foods? Which one would you choose? Share your opinion in the comment section.
- 1. Welfare of rabbits: the need for a suitable diet | nidirect [Internet]. www.nidirect.gov.uk. 2015. Available from: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/welfare-rabbits-need-suitable-diet
- 2. What Do You Feed a Rabbit? [Internet]. www.petmd.com. Available from: https://www.petmd.com/rabbit/nutrition/evr_rb_what-do-you-feed-a-rabbit
Alina Hartley is a small-town girl with a ginormous love of bearded dragons. It all started with Winchester, a baby bearded who was abandoned at the shelter by his former owners because of a birth defect that caused one front leg to be shorter than the other. Alina originally went to the shelter looking for a guinea pig, but one look at Winchester and it was love at first sight. From that day on, Alina has dedicated her life to learning everything she can about bearded dragons. She loves helping new beardie parents start their incredible journey with these magnificent reptiles.
Follow her on:
Read her latest articles HERE
Learn more about her HERE.