Wondering about some really fun boredom buster ideas for your guinea pig?
Maybe you feel bad because you can’t play with her as often as you’d like?
Or perhaps you have plenty of time but just don’t know what she’d actually enjoy doing with you?
Either way, I’ve got you covered with the ideas below!
You may also love these fun ways to exercise your guinea pig!
Boredom Buster Ideas for Your Guinea Pig
Before we get started, let me give you a bit of advice. Two pigs are better than one! Cavies are social creatures and do better when they have friends around.
Plus, when your cavy has a companion, she’s far less likely to get lonely and bored.
That said, even if you have a whole muddle of piggies (that’s what a group of them is called), boredom can still occur.
It makes sense. After all, we’ve all been to parties surrounded by people and still found ourselves bored out of our minds, right?
So, these guinea pig boredom breakers work well whether you have one or more cavies!
The first five are things you can do with your piggy and things she can do on her own.
Boredom Buster Ideas for Guinea Pigs to do Alone
As much as we’d love to spend every waking moment with our pets, it’s rarely feasible.
These ideas will keep cavies from getting bored out of their minds when you’re not around.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Let her be part of the action
Let’s start with the easiest of all the boredom busters for your guinea pig- setting up her habitat where she can be part of the family!
She’ll love joining in on the chatter, people watching and- especially- listening for the fridge door to open.
2. Hide tasty treats for her to find
Piggies love discovering tasty surprises hidden around their habitat.
Try hiding fruits & veggies in a cardboard tube, under a bit of fleece, or other places throughout her home.
If you’re worried that veggies will get soggy or covered in nasty stuff (piggies poo everywhere!), try something like these rice pops! My girls love them!
- Crispy, crunchy chew that is irresistible to small pets
- Wholesome combination of crunchiness and flavor - Made of rice and corn
- Promotes clean and healthy teeth
- Helps overcome cage boredom
- Ideal for hand feeding or fits on the WARE Treat-K-Bob (B000HGB8NA)
- Measures 3/4-inch DIA x 5"H
3. Get her some fun toys
I’ll be honest, store bought toys are really hit or miss with my pigs. I’ve bought them everything from fancy tunnels to wooden chew toys to cute little balls. They ignore most of them.
However, they LOVE homemade toys. Right now, Krystal has a sock buddy that she snuggles up with. It’s literally just a sock stuffed with bedding.
If you do want to try store bought toys, try something simple at first, like this willow branch ball.
- Wholesome and appealing playtime chew toy
- Made of all natural willow that is safe for your pet to chew
- Promotes clean and healthy teeth while satisfying your pet's natural instinct to chew
- Critters will nudge, nibble, and chew this fun toy which helps alleviate cage boredom
- Measures 4 inches long, 4 inches wide, 4 inches high
4. Put her in a piggy playpen
Sometimes a change in scenery is exactly what your piggy needs to combat boredom.
Playpens are fantastic because they give your cavy room run around and play while still keeping them contained to a safe area.
- 【Transparent & Breathable】Surrounded by nets, you could watch your pets at all times, as well as ensure the ventilation of the playpen.
- 【Automatic Opening】No need for complex splicing, built in frame, opened in seconds. Folds back flat when not in use for easy storing. When it is opened under spring pressure, it should be away from children and face.
- 【Outdoor/ Indoor】The Pet Exercise Fence is easy to carry, and you don't need to carry a huge cage when you take your pet out. It can limit the range of pet activities (It may not be suitable for pets with jumping, climbing and biting habits).
- 【Size & Material】Width & Height after expansion 47 in*15 in (120 cm*38 cm), 10sq.ft; Durable polyester fabric, easy to clean.
- 【Suitable For】Small animals pet playpen, suitable for hamsters, chinchillas, guinea-pigs, gerbils, ferrets, squirrel, bunny, reptile or other small animals.
5. Upgrade her habitat
If your piggy is constantly bored because she’s stuck in a tiny cage with no room to explore, it’s time for an upgrade.
Consider choosing one of these best guinea pig habitats and adding some other fun touches, like tunnels and ramps.
You’d be surprised by how far a new home can go towards keeping cavies happy and busy.
Supervised Boredom Busters & Things to Do With Your Guinea Pig
These next 5 either require supervision or your active participation.
6. Take your piggy outside
Is it a nice day? Take that playpen up there in #4 and move it outdoors! She’ll absolutely love it!
While some people do leave their cavies outside in a special run, I’m not really comfortable with that. Too many things can go wrong. So, it’s best to at least be close by.
7. Build her a maze or obstacle course
Use things you already have on hand-like toilet paper rolls, fleece blankets, and cardboard boxes- to create fun obstacle courses.
Make them as simple or as elaborate as you want. Hide treats throughout the entice her to run through the course.
8. Play a game of chase (with her doing the chasing)
Guinea pigs love chasing games…as long as they’re the ones doing the chasing.
Obviously, you’re not going to run around your house with your piggy in pursuit. Well, I guess you could, but you’d have to take itty bitty steps and walk in slow motion!
Instead, use a flirt pole (commonly used in dog training) and dangle or drag it along the ground in front of her.
- DURABLE DOG TRAINING & PLAY WAND: The Tail Teaser dog wand is made of durable nylon cord that's also flexible enough to last you through hours of play time or training.
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR FUN: The Tail Teaser is a compact toy that you can bring with you to the park or use at home to keep your dog happy and physically in shape.
- PLUSH TOYS SQUEAK & RATTLE: This durable nylon dog lure wand comes with two faux fur plush toys that squeak and rattle to mimic the sound of prey and activate your dog's natural hunting instincts.
- PAIRS WITH ZIP & ZOOM AGILITY KITS: The Tail Teaser teasing pole is a perfect companion to the agility kits whether you're looking to teach your pup commands, tricks, or just have fun!
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
9. Send her on a scavenger hunt for treats
This one is similar to the “hide treats” game above, except on a larger scale. Rather than just putting them in her cage, hide them around the room (assuming you’re playing in a piggy-proofed room, of course).
You may need to show her where they are until she understands the game, but once she gets it she’ll be thrilled.
10. Teach your cavy some fun tricks
If you have a lot of time and patience, teach your guinea pig some fun tricks! They’re incredibly smart little creatures and catch on pretty fast.
Check out the video below for tips on how to do it.
Remember, cavies are social creatures, so the more interactive your boredom buster ideas for your guinea pig are definitely the best.