Looking for best and safest sugar glider travel cages for your next trip to the vet?
You’ve come to the right place as I’ll cover everything that goes into picking a perfect option.
You’ll soon become an expert on all things sugar glider travel cages.
Let’s not waste any more time and dive right into how to travel with a sugar glider properly.
Our Top Picks
Use the table below to see all our top picks at a glance, then keep reading for more details.
This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase.
If you don’t have enough time to read our entire article, I’d suggest choosing SugarGliderAcademy’s Sugar Glider Travel Cage.
It offers everything a person could want in a sugar glider travel cage.
ALSO READ: All You Need to Know About Used Sugar Glider Cages
The 5 Best Sugar Glider Travel Cages
We’ll jump right into my reviews first. Then, keep reading for tips on traveling with gliders, what makes for the best travel cage in general, and more
If you’re looking at an option to house multiple gliders, Mcage’s 3 Levels Sugar Glider Animal Cage would be a suitable fit.
The spacious 3-level design, 3/8 bar spacing, and easy-to-carry handle make it a sugar glider owner’s dream.
You shouldn’t have issues with this cage not being comfortable enough for your sugar gliders.
- All-metal construction
- Three levels
- 3/8 bar spacing
- Easy to carry handle
- A slide-out bottom pan tray for easy cleaning
- You will need zip ties to secure certain parts.
- Baby gliders can easily escape
Its all-metal construction and lightweight design make for a very convenient sugar glider travel cage.
I don’t see a single reason why it wouldn’t be easy to deal with it when traveling.
But some customers did mention needing zip ties to secure specific areas of the cage.
These zip ties will help ensure a rambunctious sugar glider doesn’t find a way to escape.
Once the zip ties are in the right locations, this travel cage should be a perfect traveling companion.
Also, some customers complained that their pet mice escaped through the bars, so it’s probably not ideal for baby gliders.
- 【Medium Cage Size: 24"L x 16"W x 24"H】 【All Metal, Chew Free】3-Levels, Wire Cage With Tight 3/8-Inch Cross Bar Spacing Wire Shelves and Ladders, Paw Safe
- 【Narrow 3/8-Inch Wire Spacing】 Prevent Escape and Stuck; For Baby To Adult Size Small Animals Critters, Suitable for Chinchillas, Ferrets, Rats, Dwarf Hamster, Guinea Pig, Rabbit, Mice, Mouse, Hamster, Gerbil, Sugar Glider & Other Small Animals
- 【Two Front Doors】 With Tight 3/8-Inch Removable Wire Raised Grate Floor; With Easy Carry Handle
- 【Slide Out Bottom PanTray】 For Easy Cleaning; Animal Safe Epoxy Coated Finish
- 【Foldable and Easy Setup】Fold For Storage or Travel; Easy To Setup. No Tools Needed.
- For Baby To Adult Size Small Animals Critters, Suitable for Chinchillas, Ferrets, Rats, Dwarf Hamster, Guinea Pig, Rabbit, Mice, Mouse, Hamster, Gerbil, Sugar Glider & Other Small Animals
The Kaytee Me Travel Cage might be our most straightforward to use option.
Its two-piece design makes assembling the cage a breeze.
I don’t even think I’d have problems doing it, which is saying something.
- 16″ x10″ x 9.25″ design
- Easy to assemble
- Includes a tray pan
- Carry handle
- Large door
- On the small side
- Not super durable
Kaytee made this cage to work with most small pets, not specifically for sugar gliders.
So, if your furry family includes guinea pigs, hamsters, or even birds, it’s a one-stop solution.
It’s a bit on the small side overall, so I wouldn’t recommend it for long trips. However, for a quick ride to the vet’s office, it’s roomy enough for your glider.
However, it does have some durability issues, according to some customers. So don’t expect it to last a lifetime.
- Carry handle and large access door
- Washable, stain resistant and durable plastic base
- Includes optional perch for pet birds
- Available in assorted colors
Buyers looking to transport their glider a short distance should consider Asoract’s Sugar Glider Carrier Bag.
Its comfortable velvet lining will create a safe, warm environment for your glider.
The adjustable shoulder strap and lightweight design also give it peak portability.
- Lightweight design
- Durable plastic mesh
- Excellent breathability
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- Four color choices and two size options
- It can only hold a single glider
- Not chew-proof
Aside from its lightweight design and top-notch comfort levels, owners will love a few of its other features.
The multiple buying options and durable plastic mesh alone should entice a sugar glider owner or two.
But this travel carrier’s only fit for a single glider and shorter trips. Therefore, it shouldn’t be looked at as a solution for a long-term enclosure for a glider.
- ✔ 【UPGRADED VERSION】: This is a pet travel carrier bag specially designed for your lovely pet by our Asoract flagship store. It is upgraded in all directions. We have strictly controlled from material selection to sewing to ensure that your pet gets the most comfortable experience, it is completely different from the general pets bags carrier.
- ✔【HIGH QUALITY】: This pet carrier bag hamster is composed of durable plastic mesh + super soft velvet outer layer + high-quality sponge middle layer + comfortable thin velvet lining, safe, warm, excellent touch and has excellent Breathability, I believe your pet will fall in love with it and enjoy this warm home.
- ✔【ADJUSTABLE】: The newly designed bonding pouch for hedgehog has a wider and stronger adjustable shoulder strap, which is controlled by a ring metal switch. You can easily adjust it (Shoulder strap length: 28.1inch ~52.7inch /71.5cm~134cm). Convenient and practical. The widened shoulder strap effectively reduces the pressure on the shoulder.
- ✔【LIGHTWEIGHT & FOLDABLE】: Small animal Carriers bag is only 0.2lb, very lightweight that will not add extra pressure for you, soft and comfortable velvet, so soft that you can easily fold it (folding size: 5.43 "X 4.33"), you can put it in your handbag, backpack, diagonal bag, ect.
- ✔【APPLICABLE PETS】: We have two sizes to choose from: L Size (LxW: 9.5x8.5inch /24x22cm). XL Size (LxW: 11x9.5inch /27x24cm).please pay attention to the size before purchase.for Hedgehogs, young snow sculpture, guinea pig baby (under 5 month old ), chinchilla.hamster,bearded dragon,mouse ,Beardie, rat, squirrel,sugar glider and etc. Especially suitable for taking your pets out for walks, trips, shopping in the streets, etc. It is a Small Pets Travel Daypack.
Midwest is one of the premiere names in crates and travel cages.
This one was explicitly built for transporting small pets from place to place.
Its 20.70L x 13.22W x 14.09H hard plastic design is fairly basic, but it’s just right for a quick trip with your glider.
Midwest even included three color options to ensure you can give your snuggie a stylish enclosure.
- 20.70L x 13.22W x 14.09H
- Three color options
- Comes in two other sizes
- 4.5 stars across over 16,500 ratings
- No tools required to assemble
- Hard plastic sides make it difficult to see your glider
- What you see is what you get (no slide out pan or other extras)
If you’re looking for something simple, there’s nothing about this cage that won’t meet your needs. It’s a useful sugar glider transport device capable of keeping them safe and secure.
You won’t find a more comfortable option than SugarGliderAcademy’s Sugar Glider Travel Cage.
Its fuzzy, cozy interior and outstanding ventilation offer your glider a perfect place to relax during traveling.
The included clips, food tray, and color options are icing on the cake of this excellent product.
- 24″ x 18″ x 22″
- Cozy, comfortable interior
- Great ventilation
- Food tray and clips included
- Hanging clip for pouch
- Only one color
You won’t ever hear me saying a single bad thing about this travel cage regarding performance. It has everything a person could ever imagine one could need.
But you’ll have to spend a relatively large amount on its services. However, it’s more than worth it.
[button link=”https://tidd.ly/3aXtqt2″ type=”big” newwindow=”yes”] Check Price and Reviews[/button]
What to Look for in a Sugar Glider Travel Cage
If you’re looking for a travel cage, I’d suggest getting one with measurements of at least 23″ x 16″ x 16″. These dimensions should make gliders more than comfortable during travel.
Additionally, incorporating a sugar glider cage liner within the travel cage can add to their comfort while also making cleanup more convenient.
- ✅ SUPER ABSORBENT & WATERPROOF - Have a cleaner cage with our 4-layer guinea pig liner & pad. Plush mesh, 250g cotton, waterproof TPU, and a skid-proof base ensure mess-free bedding for small animals. Absorbs spills, protects floors.
- ✅ EFFORTLESS CLEANING, SWIFT DRY - Experience hassle-free cage care with our large washable liner. No More disposable pads. Sweeping debris is effortless, unlike fleece liners. The soft mesh retains shape & dries swiftly! No More Sticking Hay.
- ✅ DURABLE PERFORMANCE, WASH AFTER WASH - Reusable for up to 200 washes, our guinea pig cage liners endure the test of time, unlike standard pee pads or other brands. Lasting performance and reliability. ADD TO Your CART now.
- ✅ COMFORTABLE & VERSATILE BEDDING SOLUTION - Suitable as a cage mat, pee pad, and even as sofa cover, our 24x47 cage liner offers cozy comfort. It is perfect for rabbits, hamsters, hedgehogs, and rats.
- ✅ LOVE IT OR MONEY BACK - Try our liners risk-free. Love them Or get a refund within 30 days. Limited stock – Add To Your Cart Today!
A well-fitted liner can absorb waste, making the journey more pleasant for both you and your sugar glider.
Another crucial element is spacing between the cage’s bars. Never buy a cage with bar spacing more than 1/2 inches, or your gilders might be able to squeeze through them.
Other notable features include a carrying handle, perches, lightweight design, and a pullout tray. Each of these inclusions will make your life much easier when traveling with gliders.
Owners who are taking shorter trips might look to buy cheap sugar glider cages for travel. These items are a lot more convenient for trips to the vet or friends’ houses.
In this case, look for options with a screen like mesh rather than a fabric type mesh.
The fabric types are rather dangerous because your glider might get a toe or nail twisted in their threads.
How To Travel With a Sugar Glider
Many glider owners are looking to travel with their sugar gliders but don’t know how to properly.
This trip might be a shorter one to a store, an entire day out with family/friends, or long-term stays onboard an RV.
In any case, owners must put their gliders’ safety first when bringing them on these trips.
Your glider or gliders should always be in a secure travel carrier or cage when traveling in a vehicle.
It’s also recommended to make sure you can secure these carriers with a seat belt or other means.
Your chosen carrier or cage should be large enough that it allows a glider’s pouch to hang and provide room for them to climb in and out.
Since gliders aren’t overly active during the day, these enclosures don’t have to be massive.
But it needs to be large where it allows them to get out of their pouches while still being secured within it.
This action will enable them to do their bathroom business when necessary without issue.
Your placement of the carrier/cage needs to be considered, as well. I’d recommend placing it in the middle of a seat, away from direct sunlight.
Sun rays coming into your car can create a significant amount of heat, which can overheat a sugar glider.
It would be a good idea to have a piece of fleece or other light material to drape over the cage/carrier for shade.
You will need to ensure the air conditioner and heat vents don’t blow directly onto the cage/carrier. It’s another way to ensure your glider remains comfy during travel.
As you might expect, a travel water bottle is another necessary item for extended trips. I’d make sure this container can be quickly closed to stop any leaking issues.
People who don’t own a one capable of closing can store their bottle upside down in a cup holder.
This essential travel item will offer the ability to provide your gliders with water whenever they’re out of their pouches.
What to Do With a Sugar Glider When You Go on Vacation
If your gliders can’t come on the trip, you’ll need to make the right preparations.
Owners should always make sure they have a trusted friend or family member who can come over each day.
These people would feed them and check whether anything’s wrong.
I’d recommend having a few trials runs before going onto your trip to ensure this person knows exactly what to do.
More importantly, make this process as easy as possible for your friend. Taking care of sugar gliders isn’t an easy thing for a new person to feel comfortable doing.
An excellent example would be making up enough food for your trip before leaving. You should freeze each meal individually and put the date on each.
It’ll streamline the process for your friend to make it much easier for them. If you’re overly worried, placing a bowl or two of dry kibble in their cage wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Placing an extra water bottle in their cage would also be a smart move. These last two actions are extra precautions against any errors made by the person you select.
My final recommendation would be to purchase SugarGliderAcademy’s Sugar Glider Travel Cage.
The comfort level offered by this cage isn’t unrivaled by any other on today’s marketplace.
If you have any more questions or concerns about travel cages, let me know in our comment section.
what is your favorite sugar glider travel cage? share below!
My name is Ben Roberts, and I absolutely love animals. So, naturally, I love writing about them too! As far as my animals, I have a Pit-bull, a Beagle-lab mix, a Chihuahua, and one old cat. Each one of them provides me with a new adventure every day. And the best part is they’re all best friends. Well, except the cat when he gets a little annoyed.
FIND HIM ON: FACEBOOK and TWITTER.
Read his latest ARTICLES
Learn more about Benhere