There’s no better feeling than lying in your bed, surrounded by the high thread count sheets, the softness of your down comforter, and the warm embrace of your favorite stuffed animal.
Your hedgehog feels that way, too.
That’s why we’ve taken the time to find and review the best hedgehog bedding products on the market today.
Read on to know what’s right for your prickly pal.
This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase after clicking on our links.
Don’t have time? Check this comparison table of our top faves!
Top 5 Hedgehog Bedding at a Glance
- Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding
- Carefresh 99% Dust-Free Confetti Natural Paper Small Pet Bedding with Odor Control
- Kaytee Extreme Odor Control Bedding
- Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding
- Kaytee Clean and Cozy Small Pet Bedding
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
Review of the 5 Best Beddings for Hedgehogs
There’s a lot to consider when you’re trying to choose the best bedding for your hedgehog .
We’ve developed a guide that will help you think through all of the important considerations, including:
- Food and Water Bowls: how should they be placed?
- Heating: what kind is best?
- Bedding Materials: which are safest and easiest to clean?
Here are some of our picks for the best hedgehog bedding.
1. Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding
In every list of the best small animal beddings you will come across, you will always see the Small Pet Select Premium Soft Paper Bedding.
This is the number one choice of hedgehog owners and experts almost all the time.
The premium soft paper bedding from Small Pet Select is made from unbleached, never been printer paper. It doesn’t have any harmful chemical additives, which make it, without a doubt, safe for your pet.
On top of that, the softness of the bedding will bring comfort and keep the delicate tiny feet of your pet unharmed.
In terms of absorbency, this bedding does not disappoint as well. You can read many reviews from other hedgehog owners that guarantee its great absorbent feature.
Dust is also not a problem with this one. You will get a bag full of useful beddings instead of dangerous dust.
In conclusion, this bedding is a sure win and a bang for your bucks.
Features of Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding
|Made from unbleached, never-been-printed paper|
|Soft and comfortable bedding|
|Super-absorbent and dust-free|
|No harmful chemical additives|
- Only the Best for You and Your Furry Friend: The ideal Bedding for your rabbit, guinea pig, gerbil, hamster, chinchilla, rat, or mouse; Small Pet Select Premium Small Animal Bedding Paper comes in the biggest sizes out there; Each bag expands 3x in volume from its packaged size; A high quality product at an affordable cost that will last
- 100% Unbleached Virgin Fiber: Made In The USA without any harmful chemicals or additives; The virgin Never Been Printed paper breaks down easily and organically for safe disposal in your garden, compost, or organic waste bin
- Comfy Is Key: Super cozy and soft but still super absorbent; We have developed this product for optimal absorbency which aids in odor control without any added artificial scents; Safe for your pets and for you!
- Recommended Use: Line the bedding inside the pet's habitat; Remove and replace as used; Damp bedding can cause urine scald, so we recommend removing damp spots or soiled areas between changes and replacing the paper bedding every one to two days (or fluffing to prevent large damp areas where your animal stands); Store in a dry place
- Pawtastic Products for Your Pet: When it comes to pet care, quality should never be compromised; Small Pet Select is a family-owned company that handpicks each of our products with love; We aim to deliver the safest, most effective, and highest-quality pet essentials
ALSO READ: The Best Hedgehog Cage For You
2. Carefresh 99% Dust-Free Confetti Natural Paper Small Pet Bedding with Odor Control
If you are looking for a pet bedding that’s not only absorbent, has excellent odor control, and is soft for the feet, but also something that will make the cage of your hedgehog fashionable and lively, then the Confetti Pet Bedding from Carefresh is just the right bedding for you.
This bedding is made from multicolored comfy fluff for that pillowy-soft and comfortable home for your small pet that stays dry because of its great absorbent quality.
Your home will almost be odorless for a more extended period with this product’s 10-day odor-control feature.
Another great thing is it is 99% dust-free, so you will be at peace leaving your pet all day, playing and doing whatever they want on this bedding.
The lively color of this bedding makes it more special than the other beddings. It adds life not just to your pet’s cage but also to your home.
As researched, there has been no report that says the colorful bedding causes sickness to pets.
Features of Carefresh 99% Dust-Free Confetti Natural Paper Small Pet Bedding with Odor Control
|Made from multicolored comfy fluff – soft, comfortable, and absorbs well|
|Lively colors make your pet’s cage look interesting|
|Absorbs well and manages odor well, too|
- Small Pet Bedding: Our colorful confetti natural paper fiber bedding makes the softest, driest most comfortable home for small pets
- Pillowy Soft: Comfyfluff natural paper bedding made from scratch is gentle on sensitive feet with perfect texture for burrowing, tunneling, nesting, or creating a hamster hideout; ideal rat, mice or guinea pig bedding, rabbit litter or for small pets
- Exceptional Odor Control: Ideal for use as hamster bedding, guinea pig habitat lining, or bunny bedding, our pet-safe, proven odor-control formula suppresses ammonia odors for up to 10 days
- Ultra-Absorbent: 2X more absorbent than shavings, our natural paper bedding keeps small pets and their homes warm and dry with no more soggy messes to clean up
- 99 percent Dust-Free: Free of harmful chemicals and synthetic dyes, our high performance bedding is virtually dust free so your pet can enjoy a cleaner, healthier home. Biodegradable and compostable means better for the planet too
ALSO READ: Great Hedgehog Toys That You Could Choose From
3. Kaytee Extreme Odor Control Bedding
The Kaytee Clean and Cozy is made from discarded remnants and trimmings from hygienic products. It helps reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills.
The highlight of this product is its extreme odor control feature. It guarantees an odorless home for at least 14 days. Note that regular spot cleaning will help achieve the said 14-day odor control.
This bedding is 99.9% dust-free. Hedgehogs are very low animals that make their nostrils close to the ground.
It is vital that you give them beddings that will not cause any allergic reactions or respiratory problems .
As mentioned earlier, trimmings and leftovers from hygienic products were the materials used for this product, making it an excellent absorber of pee or any fluid.
Features of Kaytee Extreme Odor Control Bedding
|Made from discarded trimmings and remnants from hygienic products|
|Guarantees 14-day odor-control|
- Absorbs 6x its weight in liquid
- 99.9% dust-free for a cleaner cage
- Safe and comfortable
- Neutralizes odor for a fresh, clean cage
- Ideal for guinea pigs, rabbits, Syrian hamsters, dwarf hamsters, gerbils, and chinchillas
4. Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding
The Critter Care Pet Bedding from Healthy Pet is made from reclaimed wood pulp. A lot of reviews from other hedgehogs and small pet owners say that the texture is more like that of soft cardboard.
It is harder than paper bedding but still not too harsh on your little hedgie’s tiny hands and feet.
As researched, paper beddings perform better in terms of absorbency and odor control and are also less dusty than those made from wood.
Fortunately, Healthy Pet promises that this bedding absorbs up to 3x its weight and has long-lasting odor control. Moreover, it expands to 2x its volume and is virtually less dusty.
Hence, there will be less risk of having respiratory problems and allergies.
Aside from you and your pet, the environment can also benefit from the Critter Care Pet Bedding because it is biodegradable and compostable.
You won’t have to stress about how to dispose of your used bedding because it won’t have a negative effect on the environment.
Features of Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding
|Made from reclaimed wood pulp|
|Absorbs up to 3x its weight|
|Biodegradable and compostable|
- Absorbs 3X its weight
- Long lasting odor control
- Expands to 2X its volume
- The product is compressed to 12.5L and it expands to 30L
5. Kaytee Clean and Cozy Small Pet Bedding
Just like item number three, this one is also from Kaytee, and therefore, it is also made from discarded bits and pieces of different kinds of hygienic products.
With that said, we can guarantee that this bedding can soak up liquids quite decently. In fact, it is 20% more absorbent than wood shavings, and it expands up to 3x its size.
One of the best qualities of the Kaytee Clean and Cozy is its texture. It is soft to the touch of your pet’s tiny and sensitive hands, encouraging them to burrow or nest.
It’s not just promoting their natural instinct. It also helps in keeping them active.
This bedding, being 99.9% dust-free, allergies and respiratory problems will be the least of your worries. Also, odor control is guaranteed with this one.
Only good-quality beddings can manage stench. However, remember to do frequent cage cleaning.
Features of Kaytee Clean and Cozy Small Pet Bedding
|Made from discarded bits and pieces of different kinds of hygienic products|
|Guarantees odor control|
|Expands 3x its size|
Which of the above bedding do you have for your hedgehog? Let us know in the comments.
- vca_corporate. (n.d.). Hedgehogs – Diseases. [online] Available at: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/hedgehogs-diseases#:~:text=Respiratory%20diseases%2C%20especially%20pneumonia%2C%20are.
- www.sciencedirect.com. (n.d.). Hedgehog – an overview | ScienceDirect Topics. [online] Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/hedgehog [Accessed 22 Mar. 2022].
My name is Ben Roberts, and I absolutely love animals. So, naturally, I love writing about them too! As far as my animals, I have a Pit-bull, a Beagle-lab mix, a Chihuahua, and one old cat. Each one of them provides me with a new adventure every day. And the best part is they’re all best friends. Well, except the cat when he gets a little annoyed.
FIND HIM ON: FACEBOOK and TWITTER.
Read his latest ARTICLES
Learn more about Benhere