When you have a pet as cute as a hamster, it’s only natural you want to spoil it a bit.
However, when I got my Syrian, Mr. Bubbles, I got overwhelmed by all the options out there…
… and I ended up buying stuff that seemed like a great idea, but in the end, Mr. Bubbles didn’t play with it.
So in the article today, I’ll give you all the answers when it comes to hamster toys as I review the seven best hamster cage accessories that you need to spoil your hammy.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Top Hamster Toy and Accessories at a Glance
- Best Hamster Toy: Wooden Bridge for Exploring and Gnawing
- Best Hamster Chew Toys & Accessories for Teeth: Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler
- Best Hamster Huts to Hide and Snuggle In: NiteangeL Natural Living Tunnel System
- Best Hamster Playpen: Prevue Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen
- Best Wooden Tunnel: Niteangel Natural Wooden Hamster Mouse Tunnel
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
7 Best Hamster Toys and Accessories [Review]
1. Best Hamster Toy: Wooden Bridge for Exploring and Gnawing
One of our favorite hamster toys is, without a doubt, this small flexible wooden bridge.
We love these because you can bend them to make any shape that your hamster will love.
Further, as it’s made out of wood, your hamster can chew on it – but don’t worry, it can chew on these for many months before the wood spoils!
We recommend getting a few of these. This ensures you can always alter the look of the cage which will stimulate the curiosity of your hamster.
These wooden bridges work great for both Syrian and Dwarf Hamsters.
- Cute bridge is made from natural wood sticks held together with two flexible metal wires.
- Easily bends to fit a variety of shapes and sizes to reach elevated areas; encourages exploration and exercise.
- Can also be curled into a domed shelter your furry friend will use as a warm, cozy nest.
- Safe for chewing to satisfy her instinctual urges and help keep incisor teeth trimmed and healthy.
- 8.4 x 3.9-inch bridge is recommended for hamsters, mice, chinchillas, rats, sugar gliders and similar-sized small pets.
Make sure to also check the best hamster climbing toys!
2. Best Hamster Chew Toys & Accessories for Teeth: Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler
Hamsters are rodents which means their teeth are always growing. As such, they need some good chew toys to keep their ever-growing teeth in check.
For that, wooden hamster toys are an ideal solution, however, you can’t just pick any wood – you need to make sure it is pesticide and chemical-free.
- Safe wood toy colored with natural vegetable dyes
- Many different surfaces to chew and gnaw
- Made for hamsters
- Made of all natural wood and contains almond nut
- Encourages healthy playing and chewing
- For rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas, pet rats, or other small animals
- 4"L x 4"W x 3.25"H
- Safe wood chew toy satisfies your pets need to chew and gnaw
Also Read: Why Do Hamsters Chew Their Cage Bars?
3. Best Hamster Huts to Hide and Snuggle In: NiteangeL Natural Living Tunnel System
Hamsters love to have little sleeping areas in their cage, so if you haven’t already, you should definitely get a hamster hideout where it can feel safe and protected.
For that, we especially love the NiteangeL Natural Living Tunnel System which is not only a fantastic hut but also a fantastic tunnel system for your hamster.
And as such it serves a double purpose as your hammy will also love to explore these tunnels.
And don’t worry if you have a Syrian Hamster – it is big enough for both Syrian and Dwarf Hamsters!
4. Best Hamster Playpen: Prevue Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen
You want to get your hammy out of its cage whenever you need to clean the hamster cage.
Serving as a fence, it allows for the hamster to safely explore your house to peak its curiosity.
There are many playpen options out there, however, some of them are not very stable or have bars that are too wide apart meaning your hamster can squeeze through them.
To avoid any of these ails, we recommend the Prevue Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen.
With its 9 panels that are all 9 inches tall, you are sure your hamster won’t escape. And with those panels being 13 inches long, it creates a total play area for your hamster of 36 inches in diameter.
Or in other words, a very nice and safe play area.
- Versatile: Let your pet play securely with the fun, multi-colored small pet playpen. The ⅜ inch wire spacing is perfect for hamsters, gerbils, and other small animals.
- Dimensions: The playpen consists of eight panels, each 13 inches long by 9 inches high, creating a 36 inch diameter play area. Your small pet can enjoy 4 square feet of space.
- High-Quality: The visually engaging, multi-color playpen is easy to set up, and easy to fold and store. Supervise and play with your small pet anytime.
- Secure: The pet play area fence is great for indoor or outdoor interactive fun, allowing small animals to run and play while being contained. Connect additional playpens for an increased, bigger play area. The cover/mat is sold separately.
- Expandable: Our small pet fence enclosure is easy to use. Take it indoors or outdoors for a fun pet activity. You can combine it with additional same-model playpen sets to create a larger play space for your small pet.
5. Best Wooden Tunnel: Niteangel Natural Wooden Hamster Mouse Tunnel
In the wild, hamsters bury deep underground where they have their little hideouts.
To mimic that behavior in their cage, you should have some wooden tunnels they can explore.
Besides the mimicking, wooden tunnels also serve as a great way to explore the cage.
And finally, hamsters love to hide in enclosed areas. I have had great experiences with these wooden tunnels.
If you want some variety or something that the kids will love, we also really like this little train design.
One or two of these in the cage will give your hamster a lot of ground to play on.
- INTERESTING TUNNEL TOYS: Are you still looking for fun toys for your pet? This small wooden adventure mice tunnel is one of choices for keeping your pets natural. The small wooden adventure tunnel is also a great exploring toy for small dwarf hamsters, gerbils, mice and other pets of similar size, it's not recommanded for Syrian Hamsters or similar sized pets
- DESIGN SATISFIES THE MICE EXPLORATORY NATURE: your furry little animals can enjoy hours of fun while exploring all the ways in and out of the tube. They will run in and out of the small tree trunk to ‘peek a boo’
- STORAGE AND ENTERTAINMENT ACCESSORIES: For extra excitement, you can stuff this mice tunnel with treats and hay and watch your furry friend work out how to get everything out. The small tree tube toys will increase the close you and your pet
- THE NATURAL Hideout: they might even decide to use the gerbils tunnel as a nest and fill it with bedding. You can use this tree trunk to build virgin forests and hollow habitats, allowing your pets to feel back to nature at any time and maintain its nature
- NATURAL FIR FOR MOLAR TEETH: It will affect eating if your pet's teeth are too long, so molar toys are essential for it. It is made of natural fir. This hamsters tunnel also makes a brilliant chew toy to wear their teeth down, don’t worry about too long teeth
6: Best Hamster Wheels
If you don’t have one already, you should get hamster wheels right now.
And even if you already have one, we just want you to read the next paragraph to ensure, your hamster has a wheel that is not unsafe for it to use.
So, what do you want in a wheel?
For us, it means saying yes to the following:
- Large enough so your hamster doesn’t run with an arched back
- Is silent to keep both hamster and owner sane
- Is made of high-quality material
- Nowhere for your hamster to get stuck or entangled
There are few wheels, where we can say yes to all of the above.
However, we have found three presented below, that works great for all kinds of hamsters (i.e. big enough for both Syrian and Dwarf Hamsters)Table could not be displayed.
7. Best Hamster Ball: Kaytee Giant Run-About Exercise Ball
If you are not into a playpen, it’s a great idea to get a hamster ball.
Why you ask?
Because it allows the hamster to explore the entirety of your hamster from a safe hiding place.
And in addition, hamster balls double as a great option for keeping your hamster safe while you clean its cage.
For Syrian Hamsters, we recommend the Kaytee Giant 11 1/2-Inch Exercise Ball. While marketed for chinchillas, it also works great as a hamster ball.
For the smaller Dwarf Hamsters, you can’t go wrong with the 5-Inch Clear Mini Exercise Ball.
- Encourages healthy exercise in a secure and safe way
- Makes a great temporary holding area to keep your furry friend while you clean their home
- 11 1/2 Inch diameter
- For pet rats and chinchillas
- Fits perfectly with the Hamtrac raceway
- Not intended for ferrets, guinea pigs, and rabbits
What are your favorite hamster toys and accessories? Please let us know!
- 1. Syrian Hamster – an overview | ScienceDirect Topics [Internet]. www.sciencedirect.com. [cited 2022 Feb 3]. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/syrian-hamster
- 2. What Type of Hamster Should You Get? [Internet]. www.petmd.com. [cited 2022 Feb 3]. Available from: https://www.petmd.com/exotic/general-health/what-type-hamster-should-you-get
My name is Ben Roberts, and I absolutely love animals. So, naturally, I love writing about them too! As far as my animals, I have a Pit-bull, a Beagle-lab mix, a Chihuahua, and one old cat. Each one of them provides me with a new adventure every day. And the best part is they’re all best friends. Well, except the cat when he gets a little annoyed.
FIND HIM ON: FACEBOOK and TWITTER.
Read his latest ARTICLES
Learn more about Benhere