It’s no mystery that hamsters  love to climb. Toys are essential to ensuring your hamster gets enough exercise and lives a healthy and happy life.
What’s the best hamster wheel? A hamster wheel  is likely to be the primary source of exercise, but it should also be supplemented with other toys, chews, and tunnels.
Plastic toys can be problematic as your hamster may chew these, so when first introducing them into your hamster’s cage, you need to treat them with caution and keep a close eye on them to make sure they aren’t chewing them.
These are the 7 best climbing toys for hamsters that I use in my own hamster’s cage and will occasionally order new ones once they get chewed or worn.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Top Climbing Toys for Hamsters at a Glance
- 7 Pack Wooden Climbing Kit: Safe for your hamster to chew
- Wooden Swing and Platform: The set comes with a ladder and swing made from natural beech wood
- Wood Ladder Platform: Uses safe pet materials
- Small Hamster Hide Out: Helps promote nesting
- Hamster Suspension Ladder: Made of natural wood
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
7 Best Climbing Toys for Hamsters (Buying Guide)
This 7 pack accessory kit is great for all types of small rodents. Each piece has been made from natural wood that is safe and non-toxic for your hamster.
They are completely safe for your hamster to chew  and climb on.
The chew toys come from natural apple tree blocks with a sweet organic taste and no pesticides.
They are great for your fluffy friend to grind their teeth on and perfect for ensuring their teeth don’t grow too long.
The kit comes with a ladder that they can climb, a seesaw, a swing that hangs from their cage, a small bell roller, a dumbbell, a unicycle, and apple tree blocks.
Overall this 7 pack kit is great for your hamster and will provide them with entertainment when bored. Perfect for pet owners who love toys.
- 🐰【Natural thicker wood】-We are committed to high-quality hamster accessories, excellent craftsmanship.They are made of natural wood(China fir, China pine),all toys dried by high temperature,hand-made,undyed,safe and chewable.We strictly select wood, you can see the real grains of wood and bark from the product and a thicker and harder wood
- 🍏【Apple wood are a hit】-Pure natural apple wood accessories with sweet taste, rich in fruit acid,organic,no pesticides, non-toxic.They are safe to chew and promote intestinal digestion and stomach health.Every hamster love chewing on bark,so the applewood are the best part
- 🐭【Help teeth growth】-Rodent have no teeth roots, if they does not grind, the teeth will grow very long, even they will pierce the upper and lower jaws and even inflame.Our hamster cages accessories is very suitable for teeth grinding and chewing,they are important to keep her teeth from over growing.The natural woody fragrance and interesting shape will attract guinea pig to chew,instead of biting your furniture
- 🐇【Bring a lot of fun】-Syrian hamster get bored easily,and they need either lots of affection or accessories toys to bring out their best personalities.This chew toy gives your small rodent the prefect opportunity to play and work out, interesting ladder and seesaw toys to attract the attention of rabbit,They will get many hours of fun out of these well constructed wood toys
- 🐹【Packaged nicely】-The set comes with a reusable nicely bag ,it would make a cute gift for any real hamster,rabbit,guinea pig,gerbil or chinchilla owner.Thicker wood and the accessories all come packed in a heavy plastic zip bag, if you don't give them all the toys at once and this allows to easily store or replace them
This is one of my favorite hamster climbing toys as it can provide a platform to put their treats on. Although it looks great inside their cage, my hamster loves it.
The set comes with a ladder and swing made from natural beech wood without any coating, making it perfect for gnawing and climbing. You don’t have to worry about your hamster grinding their teeth on it.
It can be easily installed inside their cage and looks great. The only downside of this product is that you have to assembly it yourself as it comes flat packed.
- Perfect 24 hour heat source for all types of reptiles, amphibians, birds, hamsters, and one digital thermometer included
- 99% high thermal efficiency, the non-light heater lamp will not disturb animals sleep pattern
- Solid ceramics element has a good heat radiation feature(also works in sealed box), which can works
- Flat-faced design is more efficient and longer lasting than conical design which will build up excess
- ATTENTION!: Match the ceramic E27 socket only because the plastic E27 socket may melt the lamp holder even cause the lamp explosion
Like all the climbing toys on this list, this wooden ladder platform uses safe pet materials. What’s great about this toy is that it’s straightforward to clean and is resistant to odors.
It is easy to assemble and can be attached to most hamster cages.
It has an easy climb ladder and makes a great place for your pet to sleep or play. It can also be used as a platform to place your hamster’s treats on.
It has some great reviews with photos, so make sure to check them out before purchasing this toy for your hamster.
- The plateform measures 12"L x 9"W and the ladder measures 7.5"L x 2.5"W .
- A cozy place for your pet to sleep or play
- Ladder offers your little friend an ideal place to climb, play and have fun
- Made with pet safe materials that is easy to clean and resistant to odors
- Assembly is required
This small hamster hideout with a two-layer wooden hut is excellent because not only can your hamster climb up the stairs, it also provides them with a hideout that helps promote nesting.
It is also wooden, which is great for helping your hamster’s teeth stay short. Hamsters’ teeth are constantly growing, so they need wooden objects to gawn on to stop them from getting too long.
This wooden hideout comes fully assembled and uses natural wood safe for animals. It has a feeding trough on the front side of the house that can be used for treats and foods. It can also be folded up to save space.
- Provides small animals with a hideout, promotes nesting and chewing instincts
- All natural wood is safe for animals
- Ideal hide-out for pet rats, hamsters gerbils and sugar gliders(see the measurement below)
- Pet house size: 17 x 7.5 x 15cm / 6.7 x 3 x 5.9inch (L x W x H), hole diameter: 4cm / 1.5inch .Net weight approx.: 220g
- Fully assembled .Double layer design and with feeding trough, besides, it can be folded to save the room when storage.
When I first tried to find a hamster suspension ladder for my hamster, it took me a while to find good quality and wouldn’t break.
I came across this listing on Amazon that had fantastic reviews and ordered it straight away.
Just like all the other products on this list, this suspension ladder is made of natural wood that is safe for hamsters to gawn on. It’s a great toy as it provides your hamster with a safe toy that they can climb up.
It promotes exercise  and can help develop coordination and balance skills.
It can be also be mounted onto bar cages and can fold up to fit into smaller places.
- By the security of natural wood, suspension bridge is perfect.Offers pet mountaineering and exploration of desire.Promote exercise and help to develop coordination and balance skills.
- Attractive and Convenient Design. Ladder design catch the attention of hamster to climb and play ffun on it. And can easily install into the cages
- Provide essential physical activity and reduce aggression & loneliness for your small pet.Keep your pet in a stable and happy mood and improve their health.
- It's is recommended for hamsters,gerbils, rats similar-sized small pets.
Similar to the suspension bridge but not as tall and can be placed inside any cage. The suspension bridge (listing above) can only be used on a bar caged or a cage that allows it to be hooked onto something.
This natural bridge is excellent for all small rodents and can be used as a climbing frame. It uses safe materials for hamsters and isn’t too tall, so you don’t have to worry about your hamster falling off it and hurting themselves.
It is more suitable for larger cages as it can take up some space. It’s a great toy with lots of good reviews and provides your hamster with a toy to climb up.
- Natural bridge for small pets.
- Makes entering and leaving the cage comfortable and safe.
- Can also be used inside the cage as a climbing frame.
- Ideal for placing in the cage.
- Dimensions: 22.8-inch length, 6.7-inch in width, 7.7-inch height.
The final product on this list is the fan-shaped wooden platform from which your hamster can nest, rest, and eat.
It fits into most cages and satisfies your hamster’s instincts as it’s above ground level, which makes it ideal for them to sleep on.
It uses natural pinewood material that is safe and nontoxic for all different species of hamsters. This natural wood makes it ideal for them to gawn on.
The only fault with this platform is that it’s a little smaller, so it would suit smaller hamsters better. Other than that, it’s a great addition to any hamster cage and provides them with a safe platform for your hamster to sit on.
If you’re looking for more Syrian hamster toys for your hamster cage, I have written a great article on the best ten toys for your hamster cage. Some of these toys are over $20 but make a superb addition to your hamster cage.
- ❤100% natural material: The hamster platform is made of natural pine wood. The surface of small animal toys is polished, environmentally friendly, durable and easy to clean. It is non-toxic and completely safe to chew.
- ❤Provide playground: interesting rock climbing toys. Can eliminate boredom and improve activity levels. Promote sports, help develop coordination, balance skills and maintain health, while providing him with an interesting place to play.
- ❤Easy to install: Our bracket platform is easy to install, you only need to tighten it when you install it. The bird perch toy with metal wing nuts and bolts is easy to hang in the cage and not easy to fall. And easy to clean and resistant to odor
- ❤Increase activity space: a necessary condition for DIY habitat. The wooden platform is an interesting place for nesting and resting, which satisfies the natural instincts of small animals so that they can eat or sleep on the ground.
- ❤Wide range of applications: suitable for small pets, such as parrots, parakeets, cockatiels and other similar-sized birds, can stand or rest in a cage, and can provide you with a convenient platform for feeding pet birds.
Why is my hamster climbing the cage?
The main reason they’re climbing the bars of their cage is to try to escape. This often happens when their cage is too small or bored.
Why is my hamster chewing the bars?
Hamsters’ teeth are constantly growing, and it helps keep their teeth short. This can also be a sign of stress, boredom, or their cage is too small.
Why is my hamster chewing the water bottle?
Hamsters like to chew plastic and wood as it helps keep their teeth short as they are constantly growing. You can try replacing the water bottle with a different bottle with another material.
Which climbing toy from the list above would you want to buy? Please let us know in the comments.
- 1. Introduction to Hamsters – All Other Pets [Internet]. MSD Veterinary Manual. [cited 2022 Feb 17]. Available from: https://www.msdvetmanual.com/all-other-pets/hamsters/introduction-to-hamsters#:~:text=Hamsters%20are%20rodents%20(members%20of
- 2. Gebhardt-Henrich SG, Vonlanthen EM, Steiger A. How does the running wheel affect the behaviour and reproduction of golden hamsters kept as pets? Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 2005;95:199–203.
- 3. How to Keep Hamster Teeth Healthy [Internet]. www.petmd.com. Available from: https://www.petmd.com/exotic/general-health/how-keep-hamster-teeth-healthy
- 4. Menet JS, Vuillez P, Bonn D, Senser A, Pévet P. Conflicting effects of exercise on the establishment of a short-photoperiod phenotype in Syrian hamster. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2005;288:R234–42.
Alina Hartley is a small-town girl with a ginormous love of bearded dragons. It all started with Winchester, a baby bearded who was abandoned at the shelter by his former owners because of a birth defect that caused one front leg to be shorter than the other. Alina originally went to the shelter looking for a guinea pig, but one look at Winchester and it was love at first sight. From that day on, Alina has dedicated her life to learning everything she can about bearded dragons. She loves helping new beardie parents start their incredible journey with these magnificent reptiles.
Follow her on:
Read her latest articles HERE
Learn more about her HERE.